Saturday, July 29, 2006

Blind Day

Today was a "blind day." Well, every Friday is, really. (I know, it looks like I'm posting this on Saturday morning, but, for me, it's very late Friday night. It's not the next day until I've gotten some sleep. :D )

My eyes aren't very good. By which I mean to say that I have about two and a half inches of useful vision from my uncorrected cornea. Which means that I wear contact lenses. Since I hate not being able to see, I wear "extended wear" contacts, and just leave 'em in for six days of the week. To keep my eyes from suffering, this means that I have to leave them out for a minimum of 8 hours, one day a week.

I'd really like to keep what vision I have, so I actually leave them out between 12 and 24 hours. Which means, one day a week, I'm confined to wearing spectacles. The problem is that the specs don't begin to correct my vision. When I wear them, I can see about 8 inches. Which is better than 2.5, but not good enough to see the computer screen without craning my neck and hurting my back, as I try to shove my face up close enough to make out the pixels.

The specs also hurt, since they are so thick that the lenses protrude past the little bumps that are supposed to rest on my face, and cut into my skin. (And yes, they are some kind of Ultra Thin Plastic.) Which means that I tend to just take them off, and walk around holding them as a "badge of blindness" so my family knows that it's pointless to ask me to look at anything.

Anyway, because of all this, I refer to the days without contacts as "blind days." At the moment, the "blind days" are happening on Friday. So, on Friday, I tend not to get much work done.

Hey, we all need some time off!

I did manage to get the other two parts of the tutorial I was writing up on the Second Life Forum. And I heard from the person that I wrote them for. He was able to do what he wanted to do, after working his way through the first part. So that's something!

I also managed to figure out how I'm going to get the wrinkles I want on the untucked t-shirt I'm making for Second Life. The problem, of course, is that the map is discontinuous over the waist, for some reason known only to the Linden who made it. I would like to just remap it in LightWave, (like I did for the fabric,) draw on the remapped version, and then Burn the drawing onto the model.

But the difficulty is that LightWave doesn't burn those maps with transparency, and I want to be able to adjust them to suit the color of each shirt.

And then it occurred to me; I could put the white highlights on black, and set them to Screen, and the dark shadows on white, and use the Multiply blending mode, and it would all work. So I did some tests, and it does!

I don't have anything that looks good enough to post here yet, but with any luck I will tomorrow.

So, see you then!

No comments: