Thursday, October 26, 2006

Halloween Outfit

I got the Halloween outfit for Second Life Girl Kids finished today. It was really fun to do; I think I will enjoy this as much as Real Life sewing for little girls.

This is what it looks like, all ready to celebrate Halloween! (I'm standing in front of some of the rides at Thrills Ville, an amazing build that changes seasonally.)

Halloween in Second Life

I used Artlandia's SymmetryShop to do the fabric. It's the first time I've really used it for production stuff, and I love it. It makes it so simple to do fabric that really looks like fabric. Probably because it's designed to actually do fabric. (I did use it once before, to make some fall fabric for the Hawaiian shirts, but I was really just playing around then, and didn't much care how long it took.)

On a frustrating note; I was going to use the Warp tool in Adobe Photoshop CS2 to get the cuffs for this. (You can't tell in this picture, but they are a style known as "lettuce," which means that they are kind of wavy, and finished with satin stitch. Which, of course, has to match over two discontinuous seams on this avatar.)

I did the waistband for the skirt quite successfully with that method and Smart Objects, which means that I don't have to go into LightWave and burn a texture to the SL UV Map to match it perfectly over the seams.

But it can't be done on the wrists, because the map is so poorly laid out that there's a deep jag there. The Warp Tool in PS CS 2 is a new feature, and doesn't have the ability to add points to its "mesh" (yet. I have hopes.) So it can really only do fairly smooth curves. Not deep jags. Sigh. It would have been so easy if it could have worked, because I can't burn a transparent layer.

Ah well, at least I have LightWave, so I can get the totally seamless fabric. Best not to complain. :D

So I got this done, and posted to the SL New Products Forum, and fixed some broken vendors in Serenite, and other odds and ends of housekeeping and networking in Second Life.

And that was about it today. (I didn't post yesterday, because I didn't get much of anything done yesterday. They decided to cut down 4 trees on our block, starting about the time I finished the Long Post, and climbed into bed. Which was not only heartbreaking for me, but quite effectively kept me from sleeping until it was after one pm. So I got no rest, and was pretty useless. Sigh.) More tomorrow!

3 comments:

Marianne McCann said...

I'm gonna wear it to school today an see if I get any (more) comments about it. It's a great one!

Robin Wood said...

Thanks, Mari!

Anonymous said...

what a cool outfit!