Friday, January 18, 2008

Still Having Hosting Problems

We're still having web hosting problems, and our provider seems very reluctant to fix any of them.

Latest problem; I tried to change the "News" page on the front of the old site, so that it would tell people not to use the broken Shopping Cart. But it wouldn't save, since they say I'm over my alloted disk space, and instead of doing nothing, it replaced the page with a blank one. So now the front page of the site is blank. Which, I'm hoping, will at least let people know there is something wrong.

The guys at the Hosting service, while being adamant that they couldn't put that one small file on the site (they suggested that I tear half of it down, instead, which I think would be even worse) admitted that the "transparent" move from one machine to the other, which they charged a hefty fee for, didn't include pointing the DNS at the new machine. So we told them to go ahead and do that, and they assured us that it would be complete within 24 hours.

As I write this, it's been 48, (which was the outside limit in the e-mail they sent) and it's still pointing at the old one. Michael is on the phone with them right now, trying to figure out what is going on.

But, in the meantime, please accept my apology for the site being basically broken, with the front page blank and the Shopping Cart borked. And please, please, if you are reading this, and you placed an order with an invoice number between I01541 and I01546, give me a call or e-mail me. Your order arrived totally blank.

No comments: