Saturday, March 29, 2008

Free Presents in Second Life

The last couple of weeks have been a bit full for me, what with one thing and another, so I haven't been doing much in Second Life.

However, today was more "normal," whatever that is, so I managed to finish some Gift Boxes for Kids that I've been working on for a while.

I didn't want to put old stuff that I wasn't going to sell anymore in the boxes. I mean, if it's not good enough to sell, it's not good enough to give people, either.

As I see it, there are two reasons to have freebies in your store. One is to advertise; to let people see the quality of the merchandise, without having to spend any Lindens. The other is to show appreciation to loyal customers.

Giving people rejects doesn't serve either purpose, IMHO. So I wanted all the stuff in the boxes to be new, and top quality.

Some of this was simple. I could work with existing templates, and make new colors. But (Spoiler Warning) I wanted to have some things, like boy's PJs and Flip-Flops, that I'd never made. I've made them both for girls, but not boys. So I had to design those, not just recolor or retexture them. Which took a bit longer. (That's why they weren't out last week.)

I also wanted to put bathing suits in the boxes, since it's getting to be that time of year, and we have lots of places to swim on the island. But I've never done bathing suits at all, and I really wanted to get the boxes out today. I ran out of time. So I'll put those in later.

The present boxes are out now, in the main Kick the Can store, in Livingtree. If you're an SL Kid, come and get yours! I think you'll like what you find inside.

No comments: