Thursday, September 11, 2008

Texture Q&A

The first texture Question and Answer Session in Second Life™ is over, and I think it went reasonably well. :D

The first two questions were, of course, questions that I wasn't expecting and hadn't prepared for. But after that, we wound up doing about 1/3 of what I had ready. Which meant that we ran almost half an hour over the scheduled time. A number of people had to leave; but the ones who stayed all seemed to enjoy it.

I did learn a few things that I'm going to use for the next time.

For one thing, the Event drop point wasn't where the actual Event was, which caused some confusion. I think I'll put a TP thing out there, to take people to the Lecture Area. It's not very far, but you can't really see it from the drop point (the Texture Tutorials themselves are in the way.)

Mari is insisting that I put the Tip Jar where people can easily find it. So I guess I'll put one of those out, too.

And I believe that for the next session, I'll start with a more structured lesson, and then open it for other questions during the last 15 minutes.

The two questions I had really expected - "How do I make an Alpha Layer" and "How do I make clothes" weren't asked at all. Which means, I guess, that we didn't have any real beginners in the crowd.

Knowing that, I'm far more likely to do things like the section about Stained Glass (which I did use, and which is why I went over the time allotted) than things like the demonstration of White Halo, and how to avoid it. (Which I had ready, but didn't use.)

So, I'll be doing structured lessons most Wednesdays, I think, with Question and Answer sessions after the lesson. The plan is to have basically the same lesson every week for a month, and then move on to another one. That should not only give me plenty of time to prepare, but should allow everyone who wants to see a particular one the chance to do so.

After the month is over, I'll probably put that lesson into a book, or up on my website, or both.

We'll see how it goes.

But it was good to finally use the Lecture Area that I designed years ago, back when I was still in Benten, and never got a chance to build there. I've had it done for a year here, too; and now it's been used. :D

If you have any comments about what you'd like to see taught, or if you were there and noticed something else that I overlooked and would like to comment no it, I'd love to read them!

No comments: