Sunday, January 08, 2012

It's Been a While...

It's been months since I blogged, because things have just been like that.

As some of you might know, I spent most of 2011 being quite sick. In October (sometime after my last blog post,) it became acute enough that I went to the doctor and had Many Tests. We finally got the results in December. The good news is that all the tests came back negative. Yay! The doctor said that it looks to him like I got a virus around this time last year, and then got another one before I had fully recovered from that one. After that, I was worn down, and just kept getting one thing after another, and never really getting over any of them.

So the end result is that I need to rest when I'm tired and really want to fall over, instead of pushing through the fatigue and just keeping on keeping on. Pretty much the opposite of what I had to do with the fibro. But it seems to be working. So hopefully I'll be doing better soon!

And now that that's taken care of, I get to tell you what I've been doing lately!

I have started to quilt! I don't know if I'll get good enough to sell any, but I'm having way more fun than I probably should.

I've been designing quilts in Electric Quilt for some time, and selling virtual quilts in Second Life®. But I decided that I wanted real ones; quilts I could actually hold, and cuddle up under.

So, I made a couple of pieced blocks to use on Christmas bags. (Let me know if you want to see pictures.) In the process, I learned that I really enjoy free-motion quilting!

Now I'm working on a quilt for my cat, to use as part of a cat bed. I designed it in EQ, and I'm part of the way through sewing it.



This is the design. I used the actual fabrics that I'm putting into the quilt for it, so I could see exactly what it was going to look like. I made a bunch of designs, but this is the one that Michael and I liked the best. (The others were variations of Jacob's Ladders, and would probably have been simpler. But ah well!)

I got all the fabric squares cut out, and made into 1/2 square triangle patches yesterday. Today I started to sew the blocks together. This is a single block.



And this is the four blocks that will be in this quilt, all finished, and laid out so I can see what the quilt top is going to look like.



It was at this point that I realized there's a mistake. If you look at the bottom right corner, which is nearly off the image, you'll see that the patch on the bottom row, second from the right, needs to be rotated 90° clockwise. Aarrgh!

And I was so careful, too! But apparently not careful enough.

However, I'm spent for tonight, so I'll be taking that corner apart and fixing it tomorrow. At least it's on the edge!

If any of you want the pattern for this block, please let me know in the comments. I'll get back to my normal work soon, but I thought you might like to see something that I'm doing just for fun!

No comments: