Sunday, January 06, 2013

Santa's Puppy Quilt

So, about a year ago, I took up quilting.

My grandmother was a quilter, but she lived too far away for me to learn from her. I did, however, have a quilt that she had made; and I spent many hours of my childhood tracing the blocks with my finger.

I'm not sure why I didn't start quilting years ago. But now I have, and I'm enjoying it. A lot.

I haven't actually finished many things yet. I've been busy, and my health hasn't been all that great during the last year. As I'm getting better, though, I'm doing more. And I have Plans.


This is a quilt that I made for Santa, to put on his lap when people bring their puppies in for pictures. It's  washable, which makes it way easier to clean up from a messy puppy (or small child) than his expensive suit. (I put a layer of oilcloth inside, under the batting, so it's totally waterproof.)

Turns out that although he used it plenty of times this season, it didn't get dirty. So I'm going to wait a bit before I throw it in the washer, since the batting is bound to shrink a bit. Which is a little scary.

Anyway, that's what I've been up to. I have a bed runner top done for him, that just needs to be quilted (I'm doing it myself, on my home sewing machine,) and a twin size quilt top from a class I took last March that I hope to get put together sometime this coming week. I'll post pictures when I get 'em!

Any of you guys quilt?

3 comments:

Ann B said...

Gorgeous! I think it's the dryer that messes up the batting, so if you hang it out to dry (after the weather gets above freezing) it should wash up nicely.

Ann B said...

Gorgeous! I think it's the dryer that messes up the batting, so if you hang it out to dry (after the weather gets above freezing) it should wash up nicely.

Robin Wood said...

Thanks, Ann! I'll have to try that. :D